WHAT IS PARKVIEW?
The term Parkview is new to many who live in Parkview, and in fact many have lived in Parkview their entire lives and never knew that the neighborhood had a name. Many would re- fer to the neighborhood as simply Mid-City, while others perhaps the City Park area or just Bayou St. John.
The name “Parkview Place” was coined by a woman from Eunice in 1922, when she won a contest to name the develop- ment. This development, of the old Southern Park site, was the key to opening the whole of the west bank of the Bayou to new housing. Prior to the 1920’s, while there were homes built on Roosevelt, Olga, Ida and Dumaine (near Carrollton), these streets were essentially cut off from the Bayou because of Southern Park, a recreational ground, and the Picheloup Tract, a large piece of land privately held by a prominent family, both of which domi- nated the landscape near the Bayou between Carrollton and what is now Harding Drive.
Parkview today is a small, roughly twelve block area, bounded by Carrollton Avenue, Orleans Avenue and on two sides by Bayou St. John. In the context of neighborhoods, Parkview would be between Mid-City, Faubourg St. John and the City Park Triangle. Parkview is actually a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places, having been so designated in 1995. It is not, however, a local historic district and is not under the jurisdiction of the city’s Historic District Landmark Commission.
Like most developments of the 1920’s Parkview is primarily a residential neighborhood, with the few commercially zoned lots being situated at the edge and near a major intersection. Larger apartment buildings, with four or more units, are located on Dumaine, the main street of the neighborhood. Aesthetics were definitely of concern to the developers, with utility lines often at rear servitudes behind the lots, and attractive streetlamps being in place of where utility poles would normally be situated. Parkview is also a development that considered the automobile, with most homes having driveways and garages. ■